MEMPHIS, Tenn. — In the year since Lorenzen Wright’s decomposing body was found in a secluded field in southeast Memphis, his mother has kept pressing authorities to find whomever killed the former NBA player.
Deborah Marion has repeatedly visited and called the Memphis Police Department for answers about her son’s shooting death, though authorities have very few.
“We are a long way from solving this crime,” Memphis police director Toney Armstrong said last week.
Marion said: “I will never lose hope until I’m dead and buried.”
But mistakes have hurt the case, which remains unsolved since Wright, 34, was found dead July 28, 2010.
Wright’s relatives and friends have complained a missing person’s report wasn’t taken seriously. It was 10 days before his body was found, complicating the investigation because evidence was left to deteriorate in a swampy field at the height of summer. A 911 call made from Wright’s cell phone soon after he was last seen by his family was botched by dispatchers. A small reward of $6,000 has yielded just 28 Crime Stoppers tips.
For more on the story, go to Lorenzen Wright’s death remains mystery – ESPN.